This year, the Animal Justice Party is encouraging members of the public to make a declaration that they will not participate in any Spring Racing gambling activities. This includes:
- Office Sweeps
- Race Day Sweeps
- Other Race Day Gambling Practices
The Animal Justice Party believes that the Horse Racing industry is financially unsustainable, supports animal cruelty and lacks integrity. Here's just some of the reasons why:
Horse Racing is Financially Unsustainable
- The Victorian Government should not be investing funds into Racing Victoria, a privately owned company.
Horse Racing is Animal Cruelty
- Wastage – unsuccessful race horses sent to the knackery.
- 2 year old racing – horses are not physically mature to sustain racing pressures at 2 years old.
- Whips – inflicts physical and psychological pain and are not proven to be effective.
Horse Racing has no Integrity
- An Auditor General's report into the integrity of Racing Victoria in 2012 found it was simply "not good enough"
- In 2015, Racing Victoria has been rocked with multiple scandals of performance enhancing drugs amongst its race winners, as well as throughout some of its highest profile trainers and stables in the industry.
Instead, the Animal Justice Party would like to see the Victorian Government invest in long term sustainable alternatives which maintain tourism, support the economy and most importantly prioritise the welfare of the animals involved.
For more information, please take a look at our Spring Racing Fact File.
Make your declaration below and have your voice heard!